[Cake] More on 'target' corner cases - rate/target/interval confusion?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Nov 16 08:50:00 EST 2015

Hi Kevin, hi Jonathan,

On Nov 16, 2015, at 13:22 , Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:

> I've had a long think :-)
>
> On 09/11/15 15:07, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>>> On 9 Nov, 2015, at 14:12, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the presence of a full link, that link having competing ‘full' flows in all 'tins', then how should cake split the link in terms of bandwidth?
>> That’s a good question, and one that I think becomes more critical at low bandwidths.  I’ve tended towards generous allocations for that reason, so as to avoid causing trouble to low-latency applications.
>>
>> The main requirement I keep in mind is that an application should not be able to guarantee itself an excessive bandwidth share simply by selecting a particular DSCP.  At the same time, there are applications for which a relatively large, consistent bandwidth is a requirement for satisfactory performance (consider streaming video), such that best-effort traffic should defer to them.  These are conflicting requirements, so a compromise has to be established somehow.
>>
>> The current thresholds are at 100%, 15/16, ¾ and ¼.  Under saturated conditions, this gives throughputs of 1/16, 3/16, ½ and ¼.  The “video” class (Tin 2) can usurp ¾ of the bandwidth when competing against any mixture of best-effort and bulk traffic.  This, admittedly, might turn out to be too much, so I could consider setting Tin 2’s threshold at ½ instead of ¾.
> Indeed it is a compromise :-)  Personally I think 3/4 for video is too
> much.  Experimentally I found I could significantly reduce bulk & best
> effort (down to 1/16th ish) by having video & voice tins fully active.
> So I tweaked my cake thresholds to set video to 1/2 rather than 3/4 as
> you suggested.  Video & Voice can gang together to claim 3/4 bandwidth
> still leaving 1/4ish to be battled between bulk & best effort, this is
> in my opinion is much better than before.  Without a full voice tin,
> video could only claim 1/2 in the presence of best effort traffic.
> There comes a point where the link bandwidth is so low you have to ask
> if you're being realistic in trying to run video over it :-)

	I just want to note that the rule of thumb for VoIP is 100Kbps per conversation and direction; if we assume that VoIP will be inside the VO tier than we should make sure that we have at least 100Kbps available in both directions, no? I am not opposed to ample bandwidth in the VI tier, that will allow hoisting all relevant stuff there while leaving the rest including bit torrent in CS0 or CS1 country. (As far as I can tell, which is not that far admittedly, no bit torrent client allows setting DSCP marlins or defaults to CS1, so waiting for them to move themselves to the BK tier is right up there with waiting for Godot… So arguably it seems more worthwhile to move everything else up into a better tier, offering nicer bandwidth might be an incentive to make apps look at the problem space…)