[Cake] backward compatibility cruft and possible performance optimizaton

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri Nov 20 07:56:28 EST 2015

On 20/11/15 12:25, Dave Taht wrote:
> I just pushed a change cleaning up the typedefs.

Concerned about some of those changes.  Are you sure that using u32/s32
where unsigned int/int were used before is as fast?  I understood 'int'
to be the fastest type for at least 16 bits.  For example, dscp is
actually only 6 bits wide, even 16 bits is excessive but I originally
chose 'unsigned int' cos in theory it should be more than wide enough
and fast.  Similarly 'shift' - it's only ever going to a positive
integer between 32 & 0, it doesn't need to be 32 bits wide.

Hopefully I'm not being stupid.