[Cake] always or never peeling at unlimited speed?

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Mon Nov 23 06:35:11 EST 2015

On 20/11/15 12:27, Dave Taht wrote:
>         // FIXME: We always peel at unlimited speed
>         if (unlikely((len * max_t(u32, b->bulk_flow_count, 1U) >
>                       q->peel_threshold && skb_is_gso(skb)))) {
My initial gut reaction was 'never peel in unlimited mode' until I
thought about it a little more.  Unlimited is 'shaper off' rather than
my silly English language default of 'super fast, there's no limit'.  I
was reminded of my dream where an ADSL driver had BQL so cake could run
'unlimited' - and ADSL isn't 'super fast'.
> In either case we could perhaps do better with the rate estimator
> giving us a saner peel threshold???
Care is needed here.  A peel threshold of '0' is used as a flag that ATM
framing is in use and hence things are always peeled.  I'm curious as to
why a non zero overhead isn't also considered a reason to peel?