[Cake] Fresh from the bakery

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 21:11:19 EDT 2015

> On 15 Oct, 2015, at 14:55, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:
>
> Jonathan has been slaving over the oven (again) and produced a fresh
> batch of commits, this time for the iproute2/tc userland side of things
> (announced in another email on this list)  This means that the cake
> qdisc module & tc will talk to one another again with a few new whizzy
> features (and sprinkles!)

Another new feature, highly experimental, just went in.  Cake will now dynamically estimate the capacity of its input traffic, and report that through tc.  The capacity estimate can be significantly higher than the shaped rate, because it examines the input timings, not the output.  Note that it doesn’t yet account for packet overhead.

I anticipate it may be useful for tuning ingress shaping.  In future, it may be possible to automatically set the shaping rate in such configurations - particularly useful for cases where the capacity is variable on a diurnal and/or coverage basis.

Now, let’s see what I can do about dual isolation...