[Cake] ECN support for UDP (was RE: [rmcat] [rtcweb] Catching up on diffserv markings)

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Fri Oct 23 04:40:26 EDT 2015

A followup on the ECN discussion :

Congestion control wise (RMCAT) both NADA and SCReAM support ECN in the specification. In addition MTSI (3GPP SA4) support ECN in the specification.
In SCReAM, the support is not fully implemented in running code but he feedback is in place and the additional amount of code needed to get ECN support is very small. The latest specification however explains the ECN support, the behavior is very similar to RFC3168 as SCReAM is a self-clocked protocol.
The current snag is that the sockets need to be modified to give access to the two ECN bits. More specifically, what is needed is to be able to set the two ECN bits and to read the same two ECN bits in the IP header, this is also stated in section 9 in RFC6679 . Here I believe that one can easily spend more time discussing the good and bad sides of adding ECN support to the socket interface than it actually takes to implement it ☺ .

Network wise, I guess the support for ECN for UDP is a matter of configuration, but if one look from strict radio (LTE) perspective it does not really matter if it is UDP or TCP over IP, it is treated the same, thus the strategy for ECN marking should be the same and should preferably follow the guidelines in RFC7567.

/Ingemar