[Cake] memory

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Oct 29 07:02:31 EDT 2015

Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:

> Yes, while trying to be funny I glossed over that part a bit (the
> loooong RTTs part was aiming at that), sorry. But really I am wonder
> what it is that makes my position that cake should expose and honor a
> packet limit for its queueing so controversial;

The suggestion in itself is not necessarily controversial. However, the
road to bloated interfaces is covered in good intentions. Each addition
may be worthwhile in itself, but the sum of them becomes a horrible mess
to configure (I'm being a bit hyperbolic here, but I'm sure you get my
gist). So I'd rather say that for each possible configuration variable,
we should figure out if there is a way to avoid exposing it, and only
exposing it if we can't find a way to do that. Rather than going with
the "easy" solution of just making it configurable and leaving the user
to figure it out.

-Toke