[Cake] cake work needed for openwrt merge

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 03:35:55 EDT 2015

Hi Dave hi List,

not that I have contributed to cake at all...

On Sep 7, 2015, at 00:35 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> In discussing with felix what is needed for cake to go into openwrt
> trunk, we came up with the following list:
>
> * Cake work needed
> ** Add squash option (besteffort + squashing diffserv)
	I believe this should be two independent options, best effort already exists, so it is really a "re-mapp all DSCPs to 0” option that would be great to have (this would allow a simple.qos equivalent without needing iptables)

> ** Fix diffserv
	What is broken in cake’s diffserv, that is not already broken under-specified in the diffserv RFC?

> ** Add man page
> ** Clean up patches to only do cake
	What are the current patches do that falls outside of cake itself?

> *** Reformat for kernel_style
> *** IProute patches for mainline iproute
	In preparation for an upstream merge?

> ** Submit as a single patch to openwrt for each
> ** cake patches goes into the openwrt iproute directly
> ** continues to be built externally as kmod-sched-cake
> ** Needs update to the new kernel hashing api
> ** Openwrt is stablizing for now, on linux 4.1
> ** CC is essentially done, but there will a CC.1 release at some point
> ** Add better statistics (like active_flows) - have part of this already
	What is the ETA, I still want to add a maxpacket statistic to the outputs, and want to know how much time I have. Getting maxpackets is quite helpful for dealing with different encapsulations (especially in figuring out which headers the kernel does or does not add automatically).