[Cake] cake work needed for openwrt merge

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Sep 29 09:41:25 EDT 2015

Hi Dave,

revisiting your old plan:

On Sep 7, 2015, at 00:35 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> In discussing with felix what is needed for cake to go into openwrt
> trunk, we came up with the following list:
>
> * Cake work needed
> ** Add squash option (besteffort + squashing diffserv)

	Done, as of 444f9e5c0fde1400f21175eacfa7ced60b410e49 ?

> ** Fix diffserv

	What needs fixing there?

> ** Add man page
> ** Clean up patches to only do cake

	Was that fq_pie only? Then done as of dca3df3490470af6b134b7015559d9416f3a7616 ?

> *** Reformat for kernel_style
> *** IProute patches for mainline iproute

	I thought this requires sch_cake to be upstream already?

> ** Submit as a single patch to openwrt for each
> ** cake patches goes into the openwrt iproute directly
> ** continues to be built externally as kmod-sched-cake
> ** Needs update to the new kernel hashing api

	Isn’t that diner as well, as of f3289fe8ae2a28640616bf3f3289fe8ae2a2864061 ?

> ** Openwrt is stablizing for now, on linux 4.1
> ** CC is essentially done, but there will a CC.1 release at some point
> ** Add better statistics (like active_flows) - have part of this already

	I would still like maxpacket per bin just as fq_codel does, this is really really helpful to figure out how much overhead accounting the kernel adds by itself.
Let me expand: the kernel does not simply give the payload size of a packet but, depending on the interface type in use, adds for example 14 byte “virtual size” for ethernet. But it is not well documented how much is added for which interface type, if a diffserv capable qdisc emits the packet sizes it is pretty easy to test what the kernel does, by simply sending an know sized packet on the relevant interface and ask the qdisc how large that packet was (rem how many bits were accounted). It also is helpful in figuring out whether GRO/GSO and friends are in use…