[Cake] Configuring cake for VDSL2 bridged connection

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 04:14:50 EDT 2016

On 25/08/16 15:53, techicist at gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry, what is flowblind? Yes, I am using cake :)

flowblind gives you a single queue, who's maximum size is managed by (a
modified) codel.  It's useful for testing the codel.

In the default (non- flowblind), each stream is randomly assigned to one
of hundreds of queues.  In fact cake magically avoids flows sharing
queues until they have to.  Then each queue is treated "fairly" w.r.t
the bandwidth it can use.

> So is that latency increase when uploading and downloading? And so I should
> be aiming to achieve that as I slowly increase the bandwidth?

That's the general idea, yes.

For looking at latency statistics, FLENT also has a cumulative
probability graph.

If you'd rather have the numbers summarized for you, you might prefer
Richard's netperfrunner.  That's what I used to start with. It's not
100% the same but very close.  (It's designed to only use ping for
latency, which means it can use as close a target - on the other side of
the ISP link - as possible.  E.g. taken from "traceroute".  I found that
was useful for sensitivity).

https://github.com/richb-hanover/CeroWrtScripts