[Cake] WAN ingress rate with concurrent downloads

Benjamin Cronce bcronce at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 14:33:35 EST 2016

It sounds like the sender has a buffer bloat issue. I see the same thing
with bittorrent and tcp. If I rate limit my 150mb connection to 100mb, I
will see about 30-40mb of retransmissions, for a total of ~135mb of
ingress. Even though I limit only to 100mb.

If I trace route the offending senders, I always see a 3000ms+ ping 1-2
hops before I reach them.

Tcp treats the buffer bloat as packet loss, flooding the receiver.