[Cake] [Make-wifi-fast] Airtime fairness patch merged upstream, and the Turris Omnia debloated

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:59:04 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Toke,
>> >
>> > Do you know if it's made it into the LEDE nightlies, yet?  I loaded up
>> > the
>> > Dec 22 nightly onto my WNDR3800.  Running rrul I'm getting about 10-30ms
>> > of
>> > latency over wired on the same link (and wifi is definitely the limit,
>> > as
>>
>> I'm assuming you meant wireless above?
>

> Yes.
>

>> > it's using piece_of_cake at 135M down, 12M up (and I'm seeing 0
>> > measurable
>>
>> I really don't recommend cake at much greater than 60Mbits on this
>> hardware inbound.
>

> I, however, am _very_ happy with the results at those levels (using piece of
> cake, not layer-cake, layer-cake is flapping bandwidth between BK and the
> rest in my tests).

Impressive.

I haven't gone and measured cake recently on low end routers. Certainly less
classes helps it. It would be good if this performance level is true
for the current
implementation with a single queue.

>> It's not clear to me if the quantum and codel targets were restored to
>> their defaults in this release (300->1514, 20ms -> 5ms)
>

> And... my WRT running OpenWRT CC is using quantum 300, target 5ms.

The actual target and quantum are in one of the sysfs aqm files, I believe.

Also I note most of the benefit of the new wifi code is at lower rates
from your AP. Try moving 20 or more feet away....

http://blog.cerowrt.org