[Cake] quick review: arokh's feature-full build of openwrt

Dave Täht dave at taht.net
Sun Feb 14 12:56:49 EST 2016

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50914 as of feb 13th has many
features (like having the luci-ssl gui native, sqm-scripts, and support
for nearly all the platforms I have handy (c7v2, linksys 1200ac, wndr
4800 and 4300))... so I replaced a c7v2 router as my default home
gateway to see how it did. It also has nifty features like multiple vpn
support, mwan (for multiple uplinks), and a tor-specific ssid.

Quick notes:

dns is tunneled through dnscrypt and then to opendns by default, and
feels "chunky".

The ath10k in the archer c7v2 refused to come up with a "world" setting,
I had to move it to country='US'.

The wifi interfaces are bridged. (which is ok at the moment, I wanted a
simple test)

IPv6 "just worked".

The default optional packages pointed to the wrong place - fixed with

cd /etc/opkg
sed -i
s#http://luci.subsignal.org/~trondah/archer_cx/r48717/packages/#http://luci.subsignal.org/~trondah/archer_cx/r48717/packages/#g
di
stfeeds.conf

netperf and Babel were not installed by default, but all the other tools
I rely on like tcpdump were.

It's kernel 4.1.16 (openwrt elsewhere is trying to stabilize on 4.4)

cake works, but is mildly busted and does not have the triple flow
isolation, and no extended stats are visible. The archer C7v2 has a
different default ethernet wan port (eth0 rather than eth1) which caused
me a bit of confusion while setting it up.

# tc -s qdisc show dev eth0
qdisc cake 800a: root refcnt 2 bandwidth 5500Kbit besteffort flows raw
 Sent 196703782 bytes 1022519 pkt (dropped 2131, overlimits 1605810
requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

The tc package installed is:

tc-adv - 4.1.0-git-7

While I was away comcast upgraded this connection to 75mbit/5.5mbit. We
basically run out of cpu at this speed with cake and the default
firewall rules.

All and all it's an extremely competent effort, and I am happy to not
have had to build it myself. I will probably "downgrade" to use
comcast's local dnssec enabled dns resolvers and disable dnscrypt, but
all in all it has everything I need on a day to day basis, and it seems
to be nearly a pure superset of everything I regarded as essential in
CeroWrt.

The C7v2 is showing it's age (and there's another issue, which I'll get
to in a sec), so I plan to try this distro on a linksys 1200ac later
this week.

There is another feature-full build of openwrt out there - hannu nyman's
build specific to the wndr3800 and friends (like the ubnt gear), which
is tracking cake developments more closely. I will give that a shot on
my nearly last remaining cerowrt box after confirming the cake
implementation is current.