[Cake] triple flow isolation

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Mon Jan 11 12:40:10 EST 2016

Hello List,

I've been looking at latest 'triple flow isolation' features in latest
cake git and find myself confused.  It's very likely to be a
misunderstanding on my part, although if I'm confused I'm sure others
will, sooner or later, fall into the same trap.

I thought that triple flow was a solution such that a host with many
elephant flows couldn't dominate the bandwidth consumption thus starving
another host with just one elephant flow.  I guess the typical example
is a 'bittorrent' host pulling data from many places vs a host pulling
data from a single place.  My recent 'test' example was a host doing 4
simulatenous pulls of 9GByte+ files vs my wife downloading a movie via
the TV box downstairs.  The bandwidth was evenly divided by the 5 flows,
however my host got 4/5ths of the share.  I didn't think this was
supposed to happen with triple flow isolation?  Ideally we'd both get
50% of the ISP bandwidth managed by my router (cake is running on the
WAN facing interface to the ISP modem with appropriate bandwidth limits set)

The good news is that latency was well controlled and general web
browsing/catching emails etc was oblivious to the elephant melee going on.

Advice gratefully received.

Kevin