[Cake] triple flow isolation

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:08:25 EST 2016

On 18/01/2016, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hence I think it’s reasonable to simply switch on triple isolation by
> default, in the near future.  It does approximately the right thing, without
> further configuration, in the great majority of practical cases (that I can
> think of), and to a greater extent than the existing “flows” mode does.

A question from complete ignorance of this feature:

Do you prioritize by app ("traffic class") before imposing host
fairness, or vice versa?

We have these rules that voice, or video, can get special treatment in
order to survive (but aren't allowed to monopolize the connection).
If two local hosts simply cut the connection in half, we kind of lose
that prioritization.

E.g. when I was sharing with 4 other students - I want my house-mates
bittorrenting to stay firmly in the scavenger class when I want to use
the internet :).  (And vice-versa; I want to be able to leave my
bittorrent on and not get shouted at because netflix cuts out and
downgrades to standard definition).

Alan