[Cake] Fwd: longer rtt codel/cake testing with remote servers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:47:19 EST 2016

This email, also:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: longer rtt codel/cake testing with remote servers
To: cake at lists.bufferbloat.net

also of good use is the new tc_iterate.sh and tc_iterate.c code which
lets you track qdisc queue lengths, number of packets, outstanding
bytes, and drops, on your machine AND on the remote router(s).

If you want deeper insight into the actual queuing behavior, this is
the code for it! Traditionally most aqm folk looked more at queue
depth than at measured throughput....

There is a flent-flent-tc_iterate package for openwrt in ceropackages
has a high precision version in c

(you should use it on your own machine too - cd into your flent/misc
dir and "make install" in there)

after getting a root ssh key on the router, you can track the remote
queue length statistic via:

S=flent-london.bufferbloat.net

flent -l 60 -H $S -x -t noecn_pfifo_100mbit-wtf\
        --test-parameter qdisc_stats_hosts=root at your_router,root at your_router\
        --test-parameter
qdisc_stats_interfaces=the_interface,the_inbound_interface\

tc_iterate is actually capable of getting snapshots of the queue length down
below the 10ms level but flent is not.

Last week's cake at 2mbit/384k

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/384k/batch-2015-12-21T140643/voip-rrul/384Kbit-01/cake_bad_backlog.png

vs my "bcake" variant:

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/384k/batch-2015-12-21T140643/voip-rrul/384Kbit-01/bcake_saner_backlog.png

be comforted at what happens to pie at these speeds, however:

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/384k/batch-2015-12-21T140643/voip-rrul/384Kbit-01/becomfortedathowbadpieisthough.png

There is perhaps insight to be gleaned by looking at drop patterns and
so on, and the above dataset can be had at:

https://kau.toke.dk/experiments/cake/batch-2015-12-21T140643.tar.gz

A variety of RTTs and speeds are in:

https://kau.toke.dk/experiments/cake/batch-2015-12-10T172606.tar.gz