[Cake] cake/tc - removal of atm/ptm/ethernet specific overhead keywords

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:40:06 EDT 2016

> On 2 Jun, 2016, at 18:42, moeller0 <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I stopped believing this is “simple” a long time ago; I also failed to come up with a method to measure the actual overhead on VDSL links…

If it’s impossible to measure, then by definition it doesn’t have a significant performance impact, and thus it doesn’t matter if it is sloppily estimated.  In that context an overestimate of overhead is safe.

This is really a user-interface problem.  I think it would be very helpful for LuCI to get a basic, easy “conservative overhead compensation” button that simply turns on the “conservative” keyword for both ingress and egress.  That’s the bare minimum.

We can discuss details of improving granularity of that setting at greater leisure, preferably in the context of a proper redesign of the SQN configuration.

And let’s be absolutely clear: I will NOT drop the shortcut keywords from tc.