[Cake] faster scheduling, maybe

Benjamin Cronce bcronce at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:34:12 EDT 2016

Preliminary benchmarks of new network APIs like netmap are showing 20mpps
 between guest and host for untrusted guests and 70mpps to trusted guests,
and scales near linearly with more cores. With that many pps per guest, why
not let the host do an AQM? High end service NICs support multiple virtual
devices where you can tell the NIC to evenly distribute bandwidth among the
virtual devices. It's already mostly a solved problem, just some people
reinventing the wheel. I know FreeBSD is currently looking at adding netmap
to connect the guest to the host so the guests can do line-rate 10Gb and
almost 40Gb.