[Cake] New to cake. Some questions

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:17:14 EDT 2016

> On 10 Jun, 2016, at 00:36, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> 5. Is there still the udp packet dropping problem? e.g. games that are using udp.
>> If yes does it make sense to apply diffserv classes manually? How to do this?

> What udp packet problem?

He’s probably referring to the tendency of non-flow-isolating AQMs to drop packets indiscriminately when under load.

Cake is flow-isolating and thus applies a separate AQM algorithm to each flow.  As such, UDP gaming/VoIP traffic won’t get dropped unless it exceeds its fair share of the link, which is unlikely for a well-designed, lightweight protocol.

We really should make an effort to put a more intuitive GUI interface on this.  These questions indicate a user overwhelmed by many options without guidance.