[Cake] New to cake. Some questions

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jun 10 10:26:01 EDT 2016

Hi Dennis,?

On June 10, 2016 4:05:11 PM GMT+02:00, Dennis Fedtke <dennisfedtke at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Sebastian,
>
>yes this is wired connection. As i stated my ping times always vary
>independently of target.
>My ISP is overloaded in certain regions. So i assume they do some
>shaping/limiting on certain protocols (icmp for example)
>Connection speed is 200/20 Mbit.

Okay that is a Docsis cable Link, so no atm encapsulation at all. There a several lines of reasoning to one to this conclusion, but mainly ATM links top out at 22Mbps, and in Germany typically at 16-17Mbps, and your ISP is a pure cable. Company. So you can stop running the overhead detector as that only works on ATM links, sorry. I have not yet found a way to measure the overhead without ATM cells.

>ISP is unitymedia which doesn't allow you to use your own hardware.

The law changed an soon, August I believe they will have to give you the access information, but you will still need a cable modem or Docsis router...

>So actually i have to run my router behind theirs with exposed host
>enabled :<
>
>Ping response:
>
>ping -s 1400 -c 1 109.90.x.x
>PING 109.90.28.1 (109.90.28.1) 1400(1428) bytes of data.
>1408 bytes from 109.90.28.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=253 time=11.6 ms
>
>--- 109.90.28.1 ping statistics ---
>1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
>rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.677/11.677/11.677/0.000 ms
>
>This looks good or?

      Yes the ping is fine, I assume that your node is quite overbooked and you the 4ms variance from the Docsis grant request system or so. But I am no Docsis expert, so that could be wrong...

>Yes i am from germany. So you are from germany too?

       Yes.

>Thanks for your time and help :)

        Happy to be able to help....

>Best regards