[Cake] Beating bufferbloat

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun May 1 17:30:16 EDT 2016

Hi Alec,

I don't use that build, I roll my own so I don't know if there's
anything particularly clever with it.  However:  I assume your clients
are getting IPs via DHCP.  The DHCP server on Openwrt is the truly
wonderful dnsmasq.  By default, dnsmasq advertises itself as the local
dns server....that way it can act as a bit of a cache for dns requests
AND resolve internally handled DHCP addresses for you.  Dnsmasq will
also do DNSSEC validation on your clients behalf too.

If you really want to hand out dns server address 'direct' to your
clients and avoid all the caching/resolving goodness of dnsmasq then
take a look at
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html and the
'--dhcp-option' defaults.  They can be overridden, indeed you can
specify 'dhcp-options' via the luci gui (network-interfaces-lan-dhcp
server->advanced settings'

Hopefully that helps.

Kevin