[Cake] UDP floods and taking advantage of egress signalling at ingress

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri May 6 03:29:00 EDT 2016

Hi All,

My brain woke up with this idea rattling around in it this
morning...obviously the subconscious has been busy.  So here it is:

Is there any way to use the egress drop signalling at ingress time to
drop stuff before it gets into the queue so then we don't have to drop
it at egress?

Something like: At enqueue if we've a matching flow check to see if that
flow had been in egress 'fast dropping' state *and* know how much data
in terms of time it had to fast drop to get the queue back under the
nominal time threshold.  If say it had to drop 10ms worth of packets to
get back to the nominal 5ms threshold then it dropped 67% of the
packets/data.  I'd like to think of that as an 'unresponsive
flow'...hence could it be possible to use that information at ingress
time and in essence drop (some? 66%?) of them there, we can also signal
congestion to the stack at that point to (cake already does this
signalling when getting to its buffer size limit)

Probably a very silly idea.

--
Thanks,

Kevin at Darbyshire-Bryant.me.uk