[Cake] Questions on Cake/cobalts experiment ingress mode

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Thu Apr 6 05:17:06 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I've been out of the loop for a while and just noticed the 'ingress'
mode for cake in the cobalt experimental branch.

Colour me confused on how to use this.  My (typical) situation is I've
'eth0' as my WAN port connected to an ISP VDSL2 modem - this is
naturally asymmetric in capacity (80Mbps in to me, 20Mbps out from me)

Egress shaping is easy with cake....just add the qdisc to 'eth0' and it
all works.  Ingress requires generating a 'clone' interface (IFB) of
eth0 to get the incoming packets and shaping the egress of the IFB.

Can I now apply two qdiscs to eth0 directly???  An ingress mode cake and
an egress mode cake?  Or rather do I just need to tell my existing IFB
cake instance to run in 'ingress' mode.

Like I said..confused :-)

Kevin