[Cake] flow isolation for ISPs

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 05:26:11 EDT 2017

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6 Apr, 2017, at 11:27, Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a table of member ID to a list of MAC addresses for the member, so if there could somehow be fairness based on that table and by MAC address, that could solve it, but I don’t see how it could be implemented.
>
> One option would be to use HTB with FLOWER filters to sort out the subscribers into classes, and use Cake or fq_codel as a child qdisc per class.  Remember that Cake can be used in “unlimited” mode to rely on an external shaping source.

Looking at ‘man tc-flower’, it does sound like an option. I suppose that one instance of Cake per member will be somewhat similar computationally to one instance for multiple members. There will be additional memory used, and additional processing for the filters. This would also probably only be practical if members only use one access point, which I do think is typical. A few dozen filters and Cake instances might be ok, but I’m not sure about 800. :) We’ll see what we come up with. Thanks…