[Cake] flow isolation for ISPs

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Apr 6 09:42:01 EDT 2017

Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:

>  On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:14 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
>  Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:
>
>  but I’m still a little confused. Is fq_codel actually a classful
>  qdisc?
>
>  Yup. The hash buckets are the classes, basically. You can get per-flow
>  stats by doing `tc -s class show dev eth0` (only works when a flow has
>  built a queue).
>
> I see now, never knew that… :)

Well, it's not a terribly well-published feature ;)

>  I get the part about matching with tc-filter and the u32 selector (as
>  intuitive as that is :), but am not sure of the action the filter
>  needs to take. However, I do see the example towards the bottom of the
>  tc-u32 man page where a hash table is created and filters move packets
>  into the right buckets. Perhaps it will be eventually decipherable
>  from this… :)
>
>  The filter classifies a packet into a class. The 'minor number' of this
>  is the queue number (so needs to be less than the number of flows you
>  configured for fq_codel - 1024 by default).
>
> It’s clearer to me now how to split traffic by member (using their MAC
> addresses- and by clear I mean not totally clear yet but should become
> clear :) but to get both per-member and per-flow hashing together
> isn’t as clear yet (which I think is what Cake’s dual-srchost does).
> Maybe a separate table per-member could be created. ‘u32’ looks
> arcane, but flexible...

Ah, right; you can't get the two-level scheduling that Cake does with
just FQ-CoDel. Didn't realise you were looking for that, sorry...

You could assign a fixed number of hash buckets to each member (i.e.
member #1 gets buckets 1-10, say, hashing flows into those). But the
FQ-CoDel scheduler would be oblivious to the hierarchy, so a member with
10 active queues would get service for each of those each time another
member with just one active queue gets service for his queue.

To get the hierarchical sub-division, you'd need to have a two-level
scheme where you have a separate instance of fq-codel per member.

-Toke