[Cake] A quick question about FQ_CoDel vs Cake

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:06:04 EDT 2017

> On 6 Apr, 2017, at 16:51, Luis E. Garcia <luis at bitamins.net> wrote:
>
> I've been doing some testing of Cake on LEDE (WD MyNet 750) and on EdgeOS (Ubiquity ERPoe). One big question that I have is why does Cake have a higher/better average throughput than FQ_CoDel? The graph seems a bit smoother through the speed test.
>
> The test are against a 10down/2up Mbps connection from a local provider.

The main difference that’s probably responsible for this is Cake’s integrated deficit-mode shaper, which is more accurate on short timescales than the more typical token-bucket shaper that fq_codel is used with.

There’s also some difference in the Codel implementation which might or might not be relevant, specifically in the calculation of “count” after a relatively brief exit from dropping state.