[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

xnoreq xnoreq at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 08:50:25 EDT 2017

FYI, when I looked at Steam traffic a few years ago it was very bursty,
meaning that there is nothing transmitted for a short period and then
there's a burst that uses up all link bandwidth for a short while.
Internet was unusable without limiting Steam downloads quite a lot.

Now I don't have that problem anymore. Cake's ingress mode works almost as
well as I have expected (still need to set bw about 1Mbps lower on a 20Mbps
link - but that's ok).
Maybe the Steam CDN now also uses a saner network scheduler (like fq with
pacing). I'd guess so anyway.