[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:38:21 EDT 2017

Andy Furniss wrote:

>>> On the pppoe interface, use pppoe-vcmux if your modem is set to
>>> use VC-MUX, or pppoe-llcsnap if it’s set to use LLC-SNAP (they
>>> might be described using slightly different terms, but should
>>> still be recognisable as one or the other).  This probably
>>> depends on your ISP, and may further vary regionally within the
>>> same ISP.
>>>
>>> I really prefer to use the self-explanatory keywords (which is
>>> why I added them in the first place) instead of opaque magic
>>> numbers. This is a point on which Sebastian has long disagreed
>>> with me.
>>
>> Either way (or maybe not!), what about the observation that
>> attaching cake on pppoe, for me at least, required the use of the
>> raw param due to the "auto compensation" mechanism seeing pppoe as
>> +8 when the actual packets are just ip len so not +8.
>
> My case is not atm though, perhaps the atm param cancels out all
> other auto overhead compensation?

Though that wouldn't really make sense for other use cases like shaping
on a real eth for some remote atm link.

Checking my not atm pppoe it seems without the raw param I would
actually be 14 + 8 bytes wrong.

tc qdisc add dev ppp0 handle 1:0 root cake bandwidth 19690kbit raw
overhead 34 diffserv4 dual-srchost nat rtt 200ms

results in -

qdisc cake 1: root refcnt 2 bandwidth 19690Kbit diffserv4 dual-srchost
nat rtt 200.0ms noatm overhead 56 via-ethernet

Random rambling on dual-srchost vs default triple - if I were to shape
ingress, which I don't because my ISP does it again now, I think
dual-srchost would be better in practice for home use. This being
because the CDNs of youtube or TV streamers - well blippers :-) like the
BBC netflix etc. may well mean that users that should be separate get
somehow lumped together - basically any assertion that it's rare for
different users to be downloading from the same remote server doesn't
really apply to streaming services.