[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 06:26:58 EDT 2017

Dendari Marini wrote:

>> FWIW here's a quick example on ingress ppp that I tested using
>> connmark the connmarks (1 or 2 or unmarked) being set by iptables
>> rules on outbound connections/traffic classes.
>

> Unfortunately I'm really not sure how to apply those settings to my
> case, it's something I've never done so some hand-holding is probably
> needed, sorry. At the moment I've limited the Steam bandwidth using
> the built-in Basic Queue and DPI features from the ER-X. They're easy
> to set up but aren't really ideal, would rather prefer Cake would
> take care about it more dynamically.
>
> Anyway about the Steam IP addresses I've noticed, in the almost three
> weeks of testing, they're almost always the same IP blocks (most of
> which can be found on the Steam Support website,
> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711).
> I believe it would be a good starting point for limiting Steam, what
> do you think?

I think the easiest and most robust way to shape ingress traffic for you
would be to do it on the LAN side.
If you have multiple interfaces facing LAN then use ifb.
I've never used it myself, but to mark multiple address ranges the
easiest way would be to use iptables with ipset - there will be many
examples to be found on the internet.
Even if you do mark (well set dscp cs1) for steam servers you will still
need to be backed off from your ingress rate enough or it still won't
work as the queue will build up too much on the ISP side of the
bottleneck. Shaping ingress is quite different to doing egress as you
are at the wrong end of the bottleneck.