[Cake] new 12 core box

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 14:26:48 EST 2017

> On Dec 3, 2017, at 6:07 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com <mailto:dave.taht at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the name. “dornierdox” doesn’t have the same smooth ring:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_X (Powerplant: 12× Curtiss
>>> Conqueror water-cooled V12)
>>
>> Heh. I had not heard of that plane. Ceiling, 500 feet.
>
> "As a result of its size, passengers were asked to crowd together on
> one side or the other to help make turns. "
>
> very apt analogy for these mailing lists!

Indeed. "A successor, the Do-20, was envisioned by Dornier, but never advanced beyond the design study stage.”

Really? I’m shocked.

>>> Who decides to build that?
>> Howard Hughes?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-4_Hercules <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-4_Hercules>

Another behemoth...

>>> I still think a box like that will be useful for veth testing.
>>
>> I put it through some paces last night, trying 4Gbit workloads.
>>

>>> I’ve been really happy with the 2x APU2 you suggested, for their four cores
>>> and silence. I even think 2-3 more of them could be useful for different
>>> testing topologies as we discussed.
>>
>> I like them a lot, too. We have to come up with a test that uses up 3
>> ethernet ports...

I have just such a test planned, as a middlebox for poor-man’s full-duplex p2p WiFi. One port in, one for egress and one for ingress, same on the other end of the link. I tried it last year with 2xAPUv1 but one link was still a cable because I didn’t have four NSM5s, so the results looked artificially good. Now I have them, so it’s just a matter of setting it up again...