[Cake] [PATCH net-next 0/3] Add Common Applications Kept Enhanced (cake) qdisc
dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:06:12 EST 2017
sch_cake is intended to squeeze the most bandwidth and latency out of even
the slowest ISP links and routers, while presenting an API simple enough
that even an ISP can configure it.
Example of use on a cable ISP uplink:
tc qdisc add dev eth0 cake bandwidth 20Mbit nat docsis ack-filter
To shape a cable download link (ifb and tc-mirred setup elided)
tc qdisc add dev ifb0 cake bandwidth 200mbit nat docsis ingress wash besteffort
Cake is filled with:
* A hybrid Codel/Blue AQM algorithm, "Cobalt", tied to an FQ_Codel
derived Flow Queuing system, which autoconfigures based on the bandwidth.
* A novel "triple-isolate" mode (the default) which balances per-host
and per-flow FQ even through NAT.
* An deficit based shaper, that can also be used in an unlimited mode.
* 8 way set associative hashing to reduce flow collisions to a minimum.
* A reasonable interpretation of various diffserv latency/loss tradeoffs.
* Support for zeroing diffserv markings for entering and exiting traffic.
* Support for interacting well with Docsis 3.0 shaper framing.
* Support for DSL framing types and shapers.
* (New) Support for ack filtering.
* Extensive statistics for measuring, loss, ecn markings, latency variation.
There are some features still considered experimental, notably the
ingress_autorate bandwidth estimator and cobalt itself.
Various versions baking have been available as an out of tree build for
kernel versions going back to 3.10, as the embedded router world has been
running a few years behind mainline Linux. A stable version has been
generally available on lede-17.01 and later.
sch_cake replaces a combination of iptables, tc filter, htb and fq_codel
in the sqm-scripts, with sane defaults and vastly simpler configuration.
Cake's principal author is Jonathan Morton, with contributions from
Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, Sebastian Moeller,
Ryan Mounce, Guido Sarducci, Dean Scarff, Nils Andreas Svee, Dave Täht,
and Loganaden Velvindron.
Testing from Pete Heist, Georgios Amanakis, and the many other members of
the cake at lists.bufferbloat.net mailing list.
Dave Taht (3):
pkt_sched.h: add support for sch_cake API
Add Common Applications Kept Enhanced (cake) qdisc
Add support for building the new cake qdisc
include/net/cobalt.h | 152 +++
include/uapi/linux/pkt_sched.h | 58 +
net/sched/Kconfig | 11 +
net/sched/Makefile | 1 +
net/sched/sch_cake.c | 2561 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
5 files changed, 2783 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 include/net/cobalt.h
create mode 100644 net/sched/sch_cake.c
More information about the Cake