[Cake] overheads or rate calculation changed?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Dec 23 09:21:11 EST 2017

Hi Ryan,

> On Dec 23, 2017, at 14:11, Ryan Mounce <ryan at mounce.com.au> wrote:
>
> On 4.9 I am seeing a max_len equal to my IP MTU of on PPPoE
> interfaces,

That is the traditional indicator, that the kernel does not automatically add overhead for ppp interfaces, and that still seems valid.

> for both egress (hard_header_len = 26) and ingress via ifb
> (hard_header_len = 14).

	Yes, that matches what we saw before...

> At least this issue had been offset by the
> double-overhead bug for a little while :)

	I guess we need to retire the automatic adjustments the way they are done now and I will need to write an instruction how to deduce the applied overhead manually. That or I try to see whether my idea "compare the first IP packets skb->length with the value of its total length header field and report and correct for the difference between the two... But that requires some research first why the hard_header_len values for pppoe interfaces are as we see them (my hypothesis is that the kernel actually accounts for all known overheads for the whole interface stack (in my case pppoe-wan -> eth1.7 -> eth1) somehow)
I guess I should have looked at the actual assumed kernel-added overhead earlier, but I only went as far as testing real ethernet interfaces. I maintain that if cake would report the max_len_with_overhead along with max_len this would have been way more prominent and easier to debug.