[Cake] overheads or rate calculation changed?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Dec 24 07:19:16 EST 2017

Hi Kevin, hi all,

On December 24, 2017 11:46:31 AM GMT+01:00, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:

>> On 24 Dec 2017, at 10:39, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> If you combine the 'raw' keyword with an overhead spec, that disables
>the hard_header_len compensation.
>>
>> - Jonathan Morton
>
>Indeed.  I think all I’m proving is ‘make something idiot
>proof…..they’ll only go and improve the idiot’… i.e. me :-)

Haha, funny ;). But with the current state of the cake correcting for hard_header_len, while this is not guaranteed to be the overhead the kernel adds to skb->Len; I would claim cake is not idiot proof, but rather has a very tricky default mode...
I do add that reporting max_len_after_overhead_accounting in addition to max_len would have made it much more likely to catch this behaviour much earlier...

Best Regards & happy holidays
        Sebastian