[Cake] Putting cake under dsmark on ingress ifb

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:11:43 EST 2017

Andy Furniss wrote:
> Jonathan Morton wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 Feb, 2017, at 15:41, Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This works in the sense that I can now get tcpdump on a PC on the
>>> lan to show incoming icmp with tos 0xb8.
>>>
>>> So I try to add cake under dsmark ini the hope that it sees icmp as ef
>>> but it doesn't, icmp goes to best effort.
>>
>> I suspect packets are queuing in cake first and only then going
>> through dsmark.  What happens if you reverse the nesting?
>
> tc qdisc add dev ifb0 handle 1:0 root cake bandwidth 60mbit raw overhead
> 34 diffserv4
>
> tc qdisc add dev ifb0 handle 2:0 parent 1:0 dsmark indices 64
> RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
>
> Going to be AFK till this evening - will try more random stuff later.

I couldn't get anything to work with dsmark so went for plan B =

Use tc pedit which has a selector for dscp.  Turned out to be useless
though, it looked like it overwrote the whole tos byte, but worse I
ended up with packets that failed csum so got dropped.

Plan C worked :-) = use action ipt, which is now action xt (ugh).

tc filter add dev ppp0 parent ffff: prio 1 protocol ip u32 match ip
protocol 1 0xff action xt -j DSCP --set-dscp-class ef action mirred
egress redirect dev ifb0

...other filters ...

TODO see if it's possible with actions to set dscp when using connmark to
choose the flow.