[Cake] fq_codel leveraging the skb->hash now in net-next

Eric Dumazet edumazet at google.com
Fri Jan 20 16:36:28 EST 2017

The 0 case is checked.

If skb->hash == 0 or a non L4 hash was stored in skb->hash, we call
the same flow dissector code than before ;)

And each host has normally :

1) Boot time generated RSS keys on NIC providing skb->hash
2) A boot time random number
static u32 hashrnd __read_mostly;
static __always_inline void __flow_hash_secret_init(void)
{
        net_get_random_once(&hashrnd, sizeof(hashrnd));
}

u32 flow_hash_from_keys(struct flow_keys *keys)
{
        __flow_hash_secret_init();
        return __flow_hash_from_keys(keys, hashrnd);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL(flow_hash_from_keys);

static inline u32 ___skb_get_hash(const struct sk_buff *skb,
                                  struct flow_keys *keys, u32 keyval)
{
        skb_flow_dissect_flow_keys(skb, keys,
                                   FLOW_DISSECTOR_F_STOP_AT_FLOW_LABEL);

        return __flow_hash_from_keys(keys, keyval);
}

So an attacker has no way to guess in which slot of the hash table a
particular flow will end up.

For the record, I will add (optional) pacing to fq_codel.