[Cake] Cake on LEDE - package maintainer required

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Jun 27 18:11:46 EDT 2017

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:42:20 -0700
Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:

> I have long sought sufficient funding to push cake into the mainstream
> and come up empty. Cake represents thousands of hours of volunteer labor
> as it is, and everyone that has worked on it deserves kudos...
>
> ... and a check...
>
> or at least... a bloody t-shirt. And I mean that both in the perjorative
> sense and in the descriptive sense, of being covered in scars.
>
> Honestly, I'd settle for some happy set of users of cake to throw in for
> the t-shirt, at the very least.

Open Source developers need a day job. Expecting a direct check for hard work in
new technology never seems to turn out well. That seems to be one of the root
causes of the GRsecurity complaints.

Last I checked the issues were not that Cake needed more technical tweaks, more
that it needed to changed into upstream kernel style. Should be semi automatic.
Also getting simplified documentation and man pages.

There is a difference between good enough and complete. Software is never
complete.

The other change of pace would accepting the upstream version as definitive
and eliminating forks.