[Cake] cake status & forks

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Thu Jun 29 11:48:05 EDT 2017

On 27/06/17 19:41, Adrian Popescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been reading the code for a while. I'll experiment and send any
> useful patches.
>
> The technical docs would have been extremely useful in the process.
> The CakeTechnical page is useful, but it lacks descriptions of the
> algorithms.
>
> Is cake still being maintained? What's the status of the cobalt branch?
Good questions.

The cobalt branch has an attractive feature of 'ingress' mode, which
from what I can tell, puts the 'bandwidth used' calculation before the
drop/no drop packet decision rather than after (as used in the normal
egress mode) - thus we add up the bandwidth that arrived rather than
bandwidth used post our drop.

I tried putting the relevant commits into master and did some simple
testing which proved ok.  Shortly afterward I saw a report of increased
latency in egress mode and saw a similar thing myself - I probably
panicked a bit and reverted the 3 commits very shortly after.....but
continued running 'ingress' mode code myself.  I haven't seen the issue
return and suspect a misconfig with rates on my part to be the cause.
so I suspect 'ingress' mode could go into master.  For those who've
used/tested this independently it has proved useful in controlling the
torrent like behaviour of certain games providers and OS updates.

The 'lower latency priority' changes haven't obviously been a real
improvement. See the end of https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake/issues/52

I agreed an overview of the algorithms present in the code would be
incredibly useful - I started trying to do so by reading the code a year
or so back...and the little I produced is now very out of date (it was
pre the original cobalt implementation)

Kevin