[Cake] [LEDE-DEV] Cake SQM killing my DIR-860L - was: [17.01] Kernel: bump to 4.4.51

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 01:21:56 EST 2017

As this is devolving into a cake specific discussion, removing the
lede mailing list.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 3 Mar, 2017, at 07:00, Eric Luehrsen <ericluehrsen at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's not what I was going for. Agree, it would not be good to depend
>> on an inferior hash. You mentioned divide as a "cost." So I was
>> proposing a thought around a "benefit" estimate. If hash collisions are
>> not as important (or are they), then what is "benefit / cost?"
>
> The computational cost of one divide is not the only consideration I have in mind.
>
> Cake’s set-associative hash is fundamentally predicated on the number of hash buckets *not* being prime, as it requires further decomposing the hash into a major and minor part when a collision is detected.  The minor part is then iterated to try to locate a matching or free bucket.
>
> This is considerably easier to do and reason about when everything is a power of two.  Then, modulus is a masking operation, and divide is a shift, either of which can be done in one cycle flat.
>
> AFAIK, however, the main CPU cost of the hash function in Cake is not the hash itself, but the packet dissection required to obtain the data it operates on.  This is something a profile would shed more light on.

Tried. Mips wasn't a good target.

The jhash3 setup cost is bad, but I agree flow dissection can be
deeply expensive. As well as the other 42+ functions a packet needs to
traverse to get from ingress to egress.

But staying on hashing:

One thing that landed 4.10? 4.11? was fq_codel relying on a skb->hash
if one already existed (injected already by tcp, or by hardware, or
the tunneling tool). we only need to compute a partial hash on the
smaller subset of keys in that case (if we can rely on the skb->hash
which we cannot do in the nat case)

Another thing I did, long ago, was read the (60s-era!) liturature
about set-associative cpu cache architectures... and...

In all of these cases I really, really wanted to just punt all this
extra work to hardware in ingress - computing 3 hashes can be easily
done in parallel there and appended to the packet as it completes.

I have been working quite a bit more with the arm architecture of
late, and the "perf" profiler over there is vastly better than the
mips one we've had.

(and aarch64 is *nice*. So is NEON)

- but I hadn't got around to dinking with cake there until yesterday.

One thing I'm noticing is that even the gigE capable arms have weak or
non-existent L2 caches, and generally struggle to get past 700Mbits
bidirectionally on the network.

some quick tests of pfifo vs cake on the "lime-2" (armv7 dual core) are here:

http://www.taht.net/~d/lime-2/

The rrul tests were not particularly pleasing. [1]

A second thing on my mind is to be able to take advantage of A) more cores

... and B) hardware that increasingly has 4 or more lanes in it.

1)  Presently fq_codel (and cake's) behavior there when set as a
default qdisc is sub-optimal - if you have 64 hardware queues you end
up with 64 instances, each with 1024 queues. While this might be
awesome from a FQ perspective I really don't think the aqm will be as
good. Or maybe it might be - what happens with 64000 queues at
100Mbit?

2) It's currently impossible to shape network traffic across cores.
I'd like to imagine that with a single atomic exchange or sloppily
shared values shaping would be feasible.

(also softirq is a single thread, I believe)

3) mq and mqprio are commonly deployed on the high end for this.

So I've thought about doing up another version - call it - I dunno -
smq - "smart multi-queue" - and seeing how far we could get.

>  - Jonathan Morton

[1] If you are on this list and are not using flent, tough. I'm not
going through the trouble of generating graphs myself anymore.

http://blog.cerowrt.org