[Cake] [LEDE-DEV] Cake SQM killing my DIR-860L - was: [17.01] Kernel: bump to 4.4.51

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 09:44:58 EST 2017

> On 6 Mar, 2017, at 15:30, Benjamin Cronce <bcronce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You could treat it like task stealing, except each core can generate tokens that represent a quantum of bandwidth that is only valid for some interval.

You’re obviously thinking of a token-bucket based shaper here.  CAKE uses a deficit-mode shaper which deliberately works a different way - it’s more accurate on short timescales, and this actually makes a positive difference in several important cases.

The good news is that there probably is a way to explicitly and efficiently share bandwidth in any desired ratio across different CAKE instances, assuming a shared-memory location can be established.  I don’t presently have the mental bandwidth to actually try doing that, though.