[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 01:50:04 EDT 2017

> I am guessing that the ingress param just shouldn't be used when it's
> not (as you said) a large fraction of the bottleneck.

That might be a reasonable conclusion, actually.  Here the governing bottleneck is clearly Cake’s shaper as configured, not the physical link.

> I suspect that with low bandwidth + many drops + pretending the drops
> were sent, that the whole queue goes over rate, rather than just the
> individual flows.

Yes, at present only the overall shaper gets the special accounting.  In principle it might also be valid to modify the DRR++ system similarly, so that the fairness metric is also applied to the physical link being controlled, rather than to the delivery rate.

But as long as the difference between the physical link rate and the shaped rate is reasonably small, it works well enough for now.