[Cake] Recomended HW to run cake and fq_codel?

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Wed May 3 03:27:32 EDT 2017

> Fra: Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de>
>
>        Question: as an ISP what is your rationale to implement a shaper at the BRAS? Simply the fact that
> DSLAMs/MSANs are not capable to do it, or do you also need this to make sure there is always room for > your own VoIP packets?

At least the DSLAMs we use are basically switches.  Extremly limited QoS/shaping.  For a time we actually did not shape at the BRAS level and let the DSLAM's just drop whatever it could not push throug.  That was not a success.  It more or less behaved like a strictly policed access, which is not something you want.  So we went back to shaping at the BRAS.

> 0) get rid of all non-essential encapsulations, use DHCP option 82 instead of PPPoE, rethink the need
> for VLAN tags,

Done, with the exeption of some legacy business usages.

> 1) make sure to properly account for all the quirks of ATM’s AAL5 encapsulation (see cake’s
> atm keyword or “man tc-stab”)

Noted.

> 2) preferably hoist your ADSL customers into the present and get your device manufacturers
> to implement PTM for adsl modems making 1) above much less involved ;)

To much legacy, so  more likely to migrate to VDSL across the board.

Regarding BQL, we need the chipset vendors to do this.  In particular Broadcom.  We do try and influence them to do this, but we simply are a to small to get traction.

-Erik