[Cake] Recomended HW to run cake and fq_codel?

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Wed May 3 07:10:16 EDT 2017

> Fra: Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com>
>
> Another option for ISPs (failing AQM support in the devices, and instead of deploying devices on the customer
> side), could be to provide each customer a queue that’s tuned to their link rate. There could be an HTB tree
> with classes for each customer and Cake at the leafs. Knowing each customer’s link rate (assuming it’s not
> variable) you’d set HTB’s rate to something less than that. There would be work to do as each customer is
> added and removed, but at least it would be transparent to them. AQM is best done at egress where packets
> originate, so I’m not sure how well it would work in practice.

We are limited by what the HW can do here.  The Juniper ERX's we use aggregate multiple 10.000's of users.   So Queue handeling must be supported in silicone.  We do have a queue pr customer, but we cant support HTB.

> What’s usually used for an ADSL provider’s backhaul, fiber?

I'm not sure what our competition use, but we mainly use fiber.  There are some edge cases using alternative backhaul such as radio.  Norway has challenging topology for infrastructure, so some will have to suffer unfortunately. :)

-Erik