[Cake] cake default target is too low for bbr?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed May 3 22:13:05 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:50 AM, Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy Furniss wrote:

>> b) it reacts to increase in RTT. An experiment with 10 Mbps bottleneck,
>>>>

>>> That is a nice aspect (though at 60mbit hfsc + 80ms bfifo I tested
>>> with 5 tcps it was IIRC 20ms vs 80 for cubic). I deliberately test
>>> using ifb on my PC because I want to pretend to be a router - IME
>>> (OK it was a while ago) testing on eth directly gives different
>>> results - like the locally generated tcp is backing off and giving
>>> different results.
>>>

>> I retested this with 40ms latency (netem) with hfsc + 1000 pfifo on
>> ifb.
>>

> So, as Jonathan pointed out to me in another thread bbr needs fq and it
> seems fq only wotks on root of a real eth, which means thay are invalid
> tests.

​Specifically, BBR needs packet pacing to work properly: the algorithm
depends on the packets being properly paced.

Today, fq is the only qdisc supporting pacing.

The right answer would be to add packet pacing to cake/fq_codel directly.
Until that is done, we don't know how BBR will work in our world.
                                              - Jim​