[Cake] ER-X now running cake, thanks for the help. :)

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri May 5 09:20:25 EDT 2017

<erik.taraldsen at telenor.com> writes:

> Just a follow-up from the great support I got here.  I am now running ER-X with cake with the precompiled binaries from Nils.  I need to do some tuning and get it properly into the lab.  Currently I'm dogfooding it at home.
>
> Any other suggestions in order to make the topping of the cake so to speek?  I notice for example that all interfaces pr default use pfifo_fast and run a txqueuelen of 1000.  Which is a bit deep for running a 20/1 adsl line.
>
> And a slight rant on the default fq_codel setup for ER-X, 10240
> packets?  Before reducing that I got a one way delay of more than
> 600ms when I congested the line with udp.  Sane defaults

You're not likely to hit the packet limit for fq-codel, since the AQM
will make TCP flows back off before it gets that far. The exception is
an unresponsive UDP flow, of course, but that is only going to hurt
itself.

Main problem with the 10240 limit on small boxes is the memory; an
explicit memory limit was introduces in later versions to deal with
this. Guess that wasn't backported to the edgerouter, though...

-Toke