[Cake] total download rate with many flows

George Amanakis g_amanakis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 15:54:57 EST 2017

Indeed. Also interplanetary essentially omits cake_advance_shaper for
dropped packets (since cobalt never drops that way), almost disabling
ingress mode. Which leads to other hosts having pings to WAN > 500ms
when one of them is using many flows.

What I think is happening in ingress mode is that codel starts dropping
packets in many flows simultaneously. Each time this happens,
q->time_next_packet is advanced, eventually dis-proportionally to the
actual rate, and this leads to the actual download rate being lower than
set.

I am a big fan of ingress mode, just if we could correct this behaviour...