[Cake] Cake upstream Planning

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Nov 15 14:44:45 EST 2017

(note changed topic thread)

I dearly would like to try and submit cake to mainline linux in
december. Getting it done is going to take group effort.

And trying to cover all the corner cases, is going to take co-ordination
and scripting, and perhaps we should switch to google docs to pull together.

Also, it might be fun to schedule a dramatic reading of the source code
via videoconference because theres a lot in cake that not enough people
(except maybe jonathan) understand.

Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:

>     On Nov 14, 2017, at 9:10 PM, Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
>

>     Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:
>
>         By the way, what or how much is needed to get Cake mainlined?
>

>     I'd like us to give it a go when net-next reopens in two weeks,
>     we'd then have 6 weeks or so to get it right.
>
>     We need:
>
>     * Someone to do the heavy lifting. Which I suspect would be me.
>     * Someones with various hardware platforms that current kernels can be
>     run on. qemu?
>     * I'd like to see the ack filtering work get tested on lede at low
>     bandwidths on dsl especially.
>     * A whole lotta tests at various RTTs
>

> I can offer some testing time, and can script or batch a range of RTTs. netns
> would be useful here. For completeness, I suggest a product of rrul_be runs:
>
> Rates: 128 / 256 / 512Kbit, 1 / 2 / 4 / 8 / 16 / 32 / 64 / 128 / 256 / 512Mbit,
> 1Gbit
>
> RTTs: 150 / 300 / 600us, 1 / 2 / 4 / 8 / 16 / 32 / 64 / 128 / 256 / 512 / 1024ms

Well, we need simple basic single tcp download tests, I would love to
also reuse the http and voip tests toke used in the first paper.

> Opinions? Some of those might be rough (I’m looking at you 128Kbit / 1024ms),
> but it would be good to know what happens. For hardware, I could turn my Mac
> Mini into a qemu box. I guess this list is about right:

Doing a few qemu setups would be good. In particular it helps with
letting us test a net-next kernel. If we could make available qemu
images all the better.

> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en. I don’t know if all
> tests need to be tried on all platforms.

My principal requirement for multi-arch testing is that it "not crash"
and "compile". More direct testing - like with the mvneta and other odd
ethernet devices, kind of requires real hardware.

> Testing could go much further, with host fairness, diffserv keywords, rtt
> settings (more on that later), overheads, nat, etc. We could also test
> underpowered hardware with rate limiting to see if it degrades gracefully. For
> sanity, we could just test a smattering of these things.

This is a case where flent's batch facility would help. And we can divvy
up the load among servers using the new netns technique. Assuming I get
a bit of funding we can also grab some servers in the cloud, but I'm not
expecting that, so...

I do plan on getting a box to replace snapon also in this timeframe.

>     Blockers:
>
>     * Ripping out all the backward compatability cruft for submission to
>     mainline and following netdev formatting conventions for comments and
>     indentation. I'd like any new features in the backport to get
>     backported, though (sigh), as lede looks to be shipping a 4.9 based
>     kernel.
>

> Argh, but probably has to be done.

That turned out to not be hard. I'm about to test that result today.

Folding the result sanely back into the main repo did turn out to be
hard. I also have no idea how to fold together the cobalt and regular
cake branches at the moment, so I'm sticking with cobalt.

>     * tc-cake man page needs to be updated.
>
>     * tc-adv related code updated to latest iproute2

I will start a repo for this.