[Cake] Cake upstream Planning

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 04:14:37 EST 2017

>>    On Nov 15, 2017, at 9:04 PM, Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
>>

>>    Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> writes:
>>
>>                TCP RTT ~= 8ms with default qdisc, throughput ~= 940 Mbit
>>            TCP RTT ~= 4.5ms with ‘cake unlimited’, throughput ~= 920 Mbit
>>            TCP RTT ~= 1ms with ‘cake unlimited lan’, throughput ~= 920 Mbit
>>

>>    This was with BQL in play? Monitoring BQL's behavior might help.
>>
>>    I'd also love to know an exact setting for the shaper as a close as
>>    possible to the underlying bandwidth of ethernet. However, I tend to be
>>    plagued with
>>

>> Yes, with BQL (Intel I210 with igb driver on the APU2). An rrul_be test with —
>> socket-stats.
>
> https://github.com/ffainelli/bqlmon was a tool for looking at bql more
> directly.
>
> I had forked it for some reason or another:
>
> https://github.com/dtaht/bqlmon

Nice, that does work for me. It’s interesting that there are four queues for the igb driver, 00 - 03, and when I try an rrul_be_nflows test, not all four queues are necessarily used. Once I get >= 8 flows in each direction they usually are though. I suppose this is the driver deciding when to start using another queue or not.

Cake does seem to visibly reduce the size of the queues. For whatever terminal/ncurses weirdness reason though, the bar graphs may be sometimes blowing off the top of my 45 row screen, but it doesn’t entirely ruin the experience.