[Cake] cake flenter results round 0

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 04:47:30 EST 2017

> On Nov 26, 2017, at 9:42 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That is a really, really long, and extremely pleasant, way of saying:
>
> "OK, it doesn't crash".
>
> :)
>
> can flenter work with the veth stuff and namespaces?

Maybe a little more than that, but not much more. :) I put it on git for reference: https://github.com/peteheist/flenter <https://github.com/peteheist/flenter>

So far no to the veth and namespace support, but I don’t see why it couldn’t. A flenter “rig" includes up to six roles. In this test I’m only using four since it’s not over p2p wifi: client, client router, server router and server. The script doesn’t care where those are as long as it can ssh to them without a password so it can run flenter_shell.sh to do its setup and run flent on the client. My dream was that you could just define your rig with a few parameters, run it, and enjoy all the results. That dream is still more of a waking nightmare as you have to modify the tests based on what your rig can do.

I think the most important thing to making the tests more relevant for cake after "round 1” changes is using different bandwidths and rtts, right? I could use netem for this. The use of veth and namespaces is mainly for getting it to run on one box, right? Where’s the latest code for that, btw? I’m a little lost as to whether or if I need to be using net-next, if I can just use the current netem I have, where to get the latest netem and veth / namespaces stuff, etc...