[Cake] Recomended HW to run cake and fq_codel?

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 11:12:18 EST 2017

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> how about keeping it simple and just give the latency increment under full (bidirectional) link saturation (I guess a catchy acronym might be found)? Yes this is a number where lower is better, but it also has immediate information (like: "mmmh, at an added 3seconds under load, VoIP might suffer a bit if I start heavy torrenting...”).

Couldn’t the number of flows contributing to the saturation affect the results though, so that it would have to be specified?

I think this gets to the crux of the original thinking behind the RRUL specification. The RRUL “Score” section contains a lot of detail for an “optimum result”, and further admissions that it isn’t easy to assess: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/RRUL_Spec/ <https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/RRUL_Spec/>.

If we could come up with one all-encompassing and reliable metric for measuring the “goodness” of queueing behavior, it would also make testing much easier. I really wish for such a test, and sometimes try to figure out how it would look, but I don’t think it’s an easy problem to solve.