[Cake] Cake tree unreadable

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Tue Nov 28 13:48:28 EST 2017

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> writes:

> In the nicest possible way… what on earth is going on with the cake source tree
> of late?  Many ‘cascaded’ merges make things impossible to read and stuff
> appears to be getting lost as well. e.g. the recent change "Switch ingress
> failsafe to 2/3 instead of 1/4 bandwidth.” has now appeared twice, the first
> time having somehow got lost.  What on earth is going on?
>
> It’s as if there are at least 3 repos that have all got out of step with each
> other and now each time a merge is required from one it pulls in all the merges
> from the others.  May I suggest a ‘git fetch —all’, take a safety copy branch
> pointer of where you are now ‘git checkout -b safety’, switch back to where you
> were ‘git checkout cobalt’, reset the pointer and current work tree to
> upstream’s sane state ‘git reset —hard upstream/cobalt’ and finally a ‘git diff
> safety’ to see what’s missing between the two.  ‘git cherry-pick missing-commit’
> to grab any missing commit/s determined by looking at the diff.

It sounds like your git-foo is stronger than ours! I'm not even trying
to get head to work, tho my intent would be to promote cobalt to it.

I didn't know about the cherry-pick option til now, either. I was doing
a git format-patch thenewcommit, then a git am on my other branch.

For example, with this config, git fetch --all doesn't do anything.

[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = false
        logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
        url = git at github.com:dtaht/sch_cake.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
[branch "for_upstream_4.16"]