[Cake] cake flenter results round 2

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Nov 29 11:21:21 EST 2017

Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 29, 2017, at 4:44 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> (That was also informative for me about how netperf decides when to
>>> emit a data point…)
>>
>> In that case I can add that the stated reason for this way of doing
>> things is performance (i.e., emitting data points should not interfere
>> with transfer performance). This is mostly an issue on systems where
>> getting time is expensive; which is not the case on modern Linux
>> systems. But I'm not entirely sure that the optimisation only has
>> historical reasons; it may be that some systems supported by Netperf
>> still has this issue...
>
> Nice, I do respect the level of thought put into netperf…

Yup, netperf is the result of decades of optimisation, and widely
trusted, especially in the kernel community. Which is the main reason
why I chose it when first designing Flent (which was originally called
netperf-wrapper for this reason :)).

The flip side of this is that netperf does have its oddities and nooks
and crannies, and can feel arcane at times. And the code is somewhat
intimidating. So a clean slate tool like irtt definitely has its place
as well ;)

-Toke